Breaking News: Deasy says he’s cancelling iPad program
LA School Report | August 25, 2014
Your donation will help us produce journalism like this. Please give today.
Via Los Angeles Times | By Howard Blume
Los Angeles schools Supt. John Deasy canceled the $1-billion program to provide all students with an iPad after public records showed he and his top deputy had developed a relationship with the vendors two years prior to the bidding.
Recently released emails showed that Deasy and his then-deputy, Jaime Aquino, began meeting and corresponding with top Apple and Pearson executives and discussing the effort to give all students, teachers and administrators an iPad.
The superintendent sent the Board of Education a letter Monday informing members of his decision. The superintendent was coming under mounting criticism over the emails and an internal report obtained by The Times last week that showed a flawed process and a lack of transparency, among other things.
Read the story here.
In a statement, the teachers union, UTLA said:
“John Deasy needs to publicly explain his role in awarding the iPad contract to Apple and the curriculum contract to Pearson. Deasy reportedly informed the school board that he is canceling the program that is crumbling around him. Numerous media reports have questioned how Deasy led the District to award these contracts as part of a billion dollar LAUSD technology program.
“The superintendent does not get to just say, “never mind’ after all the problems the iPad rollout caused this district. Students, parents, and educators have a right to know what happened. UTLA will be at the school board meeting on Tuesday demanding some answers.”