Two District 6 Candidates Drop Out*
Hillel Aron | December 11, 2012
Your donation will help us produce journalism like this. Please give today.
In what is likely to be a series of campaign shakeups over the next few weeks, two candidates have withdrawn from the LAUSD school board race, both in District 6, which covers the eastern part of the San Fernando Valley:
First, candidate Brian Muller decided to withdraw shortly after he declared his intention to run.
“I need to spend more time forging alliances with like-minded political groups,” the 38 year-old San Fernando High School teacher told LA School Report. Muller denied a rumor that a representative from UTLA had asked him not to run: “The decision to step back was mine.” He said he plans to run for school board again some time in the future.
Perhaps the most surprising candidate to drop out so far is Ernie Cardenas, brother of soon-to-be Congressman Tony Cardenas, who was expected to be a strong candidate. Cardenas was not available to comment.
The remaining candidates for District 6 are Maria Cano, Monica Ratliff, Antonio Sanchez (who just received the SEIU endorsement), and Iris Zuniga.
*UPDATE: In an email. Cardenas says he withdrew because “the divide is to large and school board members are limited in the changes needed to fix our schools” and asks supporters to pass media inquiries to PR person Cornejo. See below for full text.