Morning Read: Teacher Evaluation, 24/7
Hillel Aron | August 17, 2012
Support LA School Report's year-end campaign. All donations will be matched dollar for dollar.
• Teacher Evaluation Changes threatened by California Bill: AB 5, which is heading to the State Senate for a full vote after getting the nod from the appropriations committee on Thursday, would mandate that all aspects of teacher evaluation be subject to collective bargaining– which has been what UTLA has been asking for in Doe v. Deasy. LA Times [A number of ed reform groups have written a letter denouncing the bill. The LA Times editorial section is also against it.]
• Deasy vs. Fletcher on Air Talk: Superintendent John Deasy and UTLA President Warren Fletcher appeared on KPCC’s Air Talk with Larry Mantle yesterday, discussing, yes, teacher evaluations. KPCC
• Jerry Brown kicks off Prop 30 campaign: The measure would temporarily raise taxes on rich people to stave off budget cuts to public schools and universities. LA Times. [The campaign has already raised gobs of money – almost $20 million, as per KCET’s superb Election 2012 page.]
• There are 15,234 homeless students in LAUSD: The district is taking donations. LAUSD Tumblr
• Miramonte elementary reopens with hopes of redemption: Yet another back-to-school at Miramonte feature, this one courtesy of the LA Times.
• North Hollywood student wins gold in all-girl international math competition KPCC